Saturday, August 13, 2011

Packed Up!

Yes, it has been a long time since my last blog, but now I am ready to commit to writing.

On Monday morning, August 1st, the packers arrived at our house promptly fifteen minutes early at quarter past eight in the morning.  At least I was showered and dressed.  They asked me to show them around the house pointing out only that which would be shipped Air Freight and that which was going into storage.  Everything else would be sea freight and not packed until Wednesday.  I managed to show them around the house pointing indicating what was going to be shipped and what was going into storage. 

Now, I have done this type of move several times.  This is actually the fifth time I have been packed up for an international move.  I have a pretty good idea of the amount of stuff that can be shipped in what is known by the moving company as an LDN container.  We are allotted two LDN containers which hold more than one dozen averaged sized packing boxes.  These containers go onto the airplane for air shipping.  I had only pointed out some kitchen ware and my clothes when the manager of our move told me that I would be exceeding my air shipment limit if I asked for any more to be packed.  I was a bit dismayed.  Actually, I think I was frantic.  In our first move, I actually had Cameron's crib go in the air freight container.  We agreed to start packing what I had pointed out and I started moving things from the air freight to the sea freight pile.  I was a bit annoyed by it all because I was fairly confident that we were allowed more inventory in the air shipment.

In this day and age, we don't have to accept what we are told as fact.  With the internet at my fingertips, I was easily able to take a deep breath, step aside and Google.  It was so easy.  I just googled "LDN Container" and within seconds was looking at a picture of such a shipping box on my computer screen.  It gave the dimensions and the cubic capacity.  Steve was working from home and contacted the moving company office to discuss the situation.  I showed the picture of the container I believed I was allowed to one of the movers who contacted his office.  Before lunch everyone agreed that we were allowed more than originally thought by the crew and I quickly threw more stuff at the guys to box up for me.  Let's be honest, we will need legos and some videos to get us by as we try to set up the house.

After that, the boxing up and loading of the trucks went fairly smoothly.  Tuesday saw the air freight and storage items loaded on the truck.  We still had enough around the house to stay at Belaire Court for the night.  I even cooked dinner in an effort to empty the refrigerator.  Wednesday was another day of packing boxes and by then we had to check in to the hotel and take the dog to the kennel for the next few days.  Thursday was the most anxious day.  The truck with the shipping container arrived at ten minutes to eight in the morning and I started to cry.  I had to splash water on my face before I could talk to the moving crew.  Now we would see if everything would fit.  At nine thirty I was looking into the truck and was a bit nervous.  Every ten minutes I would check again.  Finally, the manager of the team told me that I could relax.  In his estimate there would actually be some room left over...not much, but everything would fit.  I did feel better after that but still kept an eye on the shrinking capacity in the truck.  It is amazing how these guys fit it all in like a giant puzzle.  When they closed the door I took one last look into the truck.  I made a mental note that if I buy any furniture in England, I will have to get rid of something I brought over if it is going to fit in the container home!

Preparing for the move, I knew the kids would not really want to be at the house during all of this.  I was blessed by friends who scooped up the kids and whisked them away to their homes or the pool or even the zoo each day so they did not have to sit around watching the house box up and move out around them.  As each box was packed and each day wound down, things were calming down as well.  That is when I realized what was really happening.  I had spent so much of the previous few weeks focused on the details of moving that I did not really think about what it all meant.  Now that the boxes were packed, I had to turn around and realize that the house was empty and now I would have to say good bye.

Packing up the cookie sheets and towels and furniture all seems so important, but it's just stuff.  I was upset when the mover dropped a tea cup from my tea cup collection, but I didn't even cry.  But when a friend would drop off my children after helping me out by taking them to the pool and the movies, I realized that this what what the move was really breaking.  It's breaking my daily routine and it's going to make it more difficult to have those hour long phone chats that I am famous for.  As the truck pulled away, I cried as I realized it was now time for good byes.  I am sad that my friends won't fit in those boxes.  They are engraved on my heart, their phone numbers saved in my phone and email addresses in my email account, and  I'm taking each of them with me virtually on this adventure.  I hope they stick around and drink a glass of wine with me as they read this. 

Now let the adventure begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment